Percussionist, conductor, and contemporary music specialist Andy Bliss offers comprehensive educational residencies for composers and performers who seek to expand their knowledge of and contributions to the solo & chamber music repertoire.
Residency activities can be structured to include any or all of the following:
- Concerts & Recitals
- Guest conducting chamber ensembles or contemporary music ensembles
- Performances with Student Musicians & Ensembles
- Readings & Performances of Student Compositions
- Collaborations with Faculty Performers & Composers
- Master Classes for Percussionists
- Chamber Music Coaching
- Steelband / Brazilian Ensemble Coaching & Performances
- Lectures for Composers on Writing for Percussion Instruments
- Individual or Group Meetings with Composers or Performers
- Demonstrations & Discussions of Extended Techniques
- Interdisciplinary Collaborations & Events
- Surveys of Contemporary Percussion Repertoire
Concerts and Recitals can be drawn from repertoire for solo percussion, or presented with collaborators. Many types of repertoire, instrumentation, and programming are possible, including premieres of works by composers at the host institution.
“Andy’s recital was absolutely splendid, and his two presentations for our Percussion Literature and Studio Classes were expertly done. Andy spent a great deal of time with individual students, and talked shop with the students in between. His passion for this music is obvious and contagious....a top-drawer artist and scholar.”
Dr. B. Michael Williams /// Director of Percussion - Winthrop University
"Andy Bliss' residency at Tennessee Tech University changed the way my students think and made me re-evaluate my approach as an educator. His expertise as a pedagogue, scholar, and performer are of the highest quality and I would welcome him back anytime! If you ever have the chance to work with Andy Bliss or bring him into your program, I couldn't recommend it more."
Dr. Colin Hill /// Director of Percussion - Tennessee Tech University
“Andy has a unique ability to share very complex music with students in a way that is both accessible and educational.”
Dr. Jason Baker /// Director of Percussion - Mississippi State University
"Andy Bliss presented a great and informative performance while at UNCP! His level of musicality and execution was tremendous and he also presented great information about the pieces during the program. My students also had a great time working with him in lessons and learning more about the history of percussion repertoire during our studio class time. He is a performer of the highest order!"
Dr. Tracy Wiggins /// Director of Percussion - UNC Pembroke
- University of Kansas
- University of North Carolina – Greensboro
- University of South Carolina
- University of Kentucky
- Tennessee Tech University
- Northern Illinois University
- University of Arizona
- University of Alabama
- Winthrop University